Speech and Language Red Flags
SPEECH AND LANGUAGE RED FLAGS FOR REFERRAL
- Decreased eye contact during interactions.
- Decreased/ absent response to sounds or voices.
- Is not babbling by 8 months.
- Does not/ can not imitate sounds or simple words by 12 months.
- Does not imitate simple gestures/ actions by 12 months.
- Does not point to/ identify familiar objects by 15 months.
- Does not look to engage you nonverbally by 15 months.
- Demonstrates any “loss” of language/ words.
- Does not use 25 words consistently by 18 months.
- Does not/ can not imitate words regularly by 18 months.
- Continues to use more gestures than words at 18 months.
- Less than 100 words by 24 months.
- Does not look to engage you verbally by 24 months.
- No combinations of words into 2 and 3 word phrases by 24 months.
- Not able to follow directions by 24 months.
- Family members understand less than 50 % at 24 months.
- Is not consistently combining words into short sentences by 30 months.
- Does not initiate meaningful and relevant verbal exchanges by 36 months.
- Family members understand less than 90% at 36 months.
- Unfamiliar listeners have difficulty understanding the child at 36 months.
- Difficulty engaging with peers in pretend/ imaginary play at 3-4 years.
- Does not develop more complex grammatical concepts between 3-4 years.
- Does not develop basic verbal reasoning skills by 3-4 years.
Does not initiate, maintain topic, turn take or respond to basic verbal conversation by 4 years.